Working from home comes with many financial advantages including:
- Save money on meals out – eat at home
- Save money on coffee out – brew at home
- Save on gas, car maintenance, parking or transit passes
- Save on car insurance – check for discounts if you are driving leisure only
- Tax deductions – check this carefully as it varies by where you live
However running a home office comes with some extra expenses too. Here are some ways to save on equipment and supplies for your home office.
- Shop carefully for office equipment, computers and supplies. With the internet you can easily compare prices between retailers.
- Check out dollar stores for smaller items like pens, notepads, calculators etc. They are often cheaper than the office supply stores
- Before you buy a computer or printer etc on sale from a retailer like Best Buy, get discounted gift cards from Giftcards.com or another gift card exchange for that retailer. Best Buy cards are available from 5% discount. Use the gift cards to make the purchase, creating a bigger discount for yourself combined with the sale price.
- Check for rebate offers on office equipment. Offers come and go and are often not advertised in the store, so search for a master list of rebate offers on a site like WeUseCoupons to see what rebates are available.
- Go paperless, only printing what you need to print. This saves paper, ink, and space in the filing drawers.
- Buy office supplies with discounted gift cards too, just like for office equipment and furniture.
- Get VOIP phones or use Skype and cut your long distance costs.
- Buy a 4×8 sheet of Shower Board from Home Depot and use it as a White Board. If you have to, cut it down. Frame with a little plastic trim that sells by the foot at the hardware store. Works great for to do lists and brainstorms, and very inexpensive compared to buying a small White Board.
Hopefully these ideas will save you some money as you operate a home office.