While looking around for interesting ideas I came across an article about Malaysians investing in cemetery lots as a hedge against inflation and for profit. Intrigued, I did some more research and discovered there is a very quiet but very active industry of unused cemetery plot investors.
Yes, it sounds a little crazy but think about it. Cemetery plots are:
- Actual dirt, not a paper investment
- Already zoned
- Maintenance is taken care of for you
- Reasonably liquid (run ads on craigslist or in the local paper’s online ads)
- About the only investment you can use if you die before you sell it
- Affordable – from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars each
- Keep up with or beat inflation generally
- Location driven
I could not find any comprehensive report on how to do this business. Not even a simple guide anywhere. Just little bits and pieces and hints. I pulled together all the info I could find and then added a bunch of knowledge about normal real estate investing to create a How to Invest in Cemetery Plots for Profit article.
I welcome your comments and ideas on this somewhat unorthodox idea.
PS: If you need a plot, you might need this excellent guide to writing an obituary.